Easy Mince Pie Recipe
Mince Pies for a Traditional English Christmas Treat
An original mince pies recipe includes tons of religious significance. The popular British Christmas dish originally included 13 ingredients but simplified versions show cooks how to make the dish in less than an hour. An elaborate version by Chef Jamie Oliver combines filo dough and puff pastry for an airy texture while Nigella Lawson uses a simple family recipe consisting of five basic ingredients. Delia Smith creates truly decadent eats by incorporating lard and butter into the pastry dough.
What is Mincemeat?
Mincemeat is a mix of fruits, spices and liquor. Most recipes include some form of ground meat like beef or deer. Store-bought products are available but simple recipes exist for cooks who wish to make their own mincemeat.
Easy Mince Pie Recipe
– 1 Egg
– Icing sugar
– Cold water
– Rolling pin
– Muffin tin
– Circular cookie cutter matching muffin tin size
1. Place a butter knife in the freezer.
2. Place 1.5 cups of flour, two sticks of butter and a little salt in a bowl. Some people combine butter and lard for a richer, more durable crust.
3. Use your hands or a food processor to mix the dough it mimics fine crumbs. Do not allow the mixture to become warm.
4. Add the egg. Remove the butter knife from the freezer and use it to stir in small amounts of cold water until the mixture starts to bind. The dough should not be sticky.
5. Form dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Place dough in the frige for 15 to 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Roll out chilled dough to one-eighth-inch thickness on a floured surface.
8. Cut out circular pieces to fit the size of your desired muffin tin.
9. Place cut dough into muffin tin.
10. Fill tin two-thirds full with mincemeat mixture.
11. Create decorative accents and / or toppers for each pie using remaining dough pieces.
12. Moisten edges to secure toppers and decorations to pie tops.
13. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until brown.
14. Sprinkle with icing sugar when cool.
Treats kept in airtight containers last up to seven days. Some people choose to re-warm their mince pies. Try adding or replacing ingredients to create a unique family recipe.